Gem Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is Threatened with Demolition (AZ)

We are not in the historic-preservation business. That’s not our forte.

–Developer John Hoffman.

It’s like throwing a Picasso in the fire.

–Alison King, a historic-preservation activist and founder of Modern Phoenix.

In a nutshell:   A development group (called 8081 Meridian) recently bought the David Wright House (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for his son) in Phoenix, AZ.  Their plan was to cut the property’s lot in half — to demolish the Wright House — in order to build a couple of luxury homes.  Preservationists intervened.  The developers agreed to a 60-day window during which another buyer can purchase the entire property from them (that 60 days is half over!).  The developers have also stated they would consider a splitting of the lot so that they could still build a couple of houses while selling the David Wright House on a much smaller lot.  And the third option?  Continue with the demolition.  Two days ago, the developers posted this statement on their website:  “Should a buyer not be found in that time frame, we will proceed with our development site plan that has been approved by the City.”  See this video from a local news station for an overview:  (I’ve added more pics of the house below the video).

Photos of the David Wright House:

For an Index of 130+ articles on Historic House Blog, click here!

1. by Kelly D, on 07.21.12 @ 1:33 PM

Wow, I can’t believe anyone in their right mind would tear this one down. Out of all the ones I’ve seen of his, this has to be my favorite. What a shame.

2. by Mary G, on 07.21.12 @ 4:16 PM

Obviously, the developer doesn’t like architecture. What an idiot.

3. by Michael, on 07.21.12 @ 9:02 PM

The strident arrogance & carelessness of developers never ceases to surprise & disappoint me.

4. by Scott Sidler, on 07.23.12 @ 9:01 AM

Unbelievable!! Is there a contact to reach about purchasing the home? Is there a listing price? I’ll see if I can find an interested party because this house is a treasure that MUST be saved.

5. by Michael, on 07.23.12 @ 9:07 AM

I’m with you, Scott! I haven’t seen an official “list price” for the Wright house, though for some reason I’m thinking I read somewhere that it might be around $1M. As far as I know, the only place for inquiry is with the developers, themselves, which can be found here:

Let me know if you hear anything!

-Michael@HHB

6. by Sofia, on 07.28.12 @ 10:18 PM

It would be a real shame if they demolished such a beautiful and important building.

7. by Roger, on 08.06.12 @ 3:05 AM

What a gem, surely a museum would have the funds, or could raise them. Does a US equivalent of the UK’s National Trust exist?

8. by House crazy Sarah, on 08.16.12 @ 6:07 PM

Wow! Developers are such ignorant bullies sometimes. Any update on this beautiful home? I hope someone can rescue it!

9. by Mercedes Hayes, on 11.09.12 @ 2:30 PM

I’m glad to see it listed for sale in October. The photos take your breath away!

10. by Gem Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is Threatened with Demolition (AZ) « historical tales, on 01.22.13 @ 9:21 PM

[...]  Read story Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

11. by Gem Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is Threatened with Demolition (AZ) | historical tales, on 03.13.13 @ 4:43 AM

[...] Meridian) recently bought the David Wright House (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for his [...] Read story Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like [...]

12. by Gem Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is Threatened with Demolition (AZ) | historical tales, on 03.24.13 @ 4:29 PM

[...]  Read story [...]

13. by Woodbury Luxury apartments, on 09.06.13 @ 8:30 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already
    ;) Cheers!