FOR SALE: In Gettysburg, PA – Civil War Related, 44 acre Historic Farm!

gettysburg12Looking for a one-of-a-kind, super-cool historic property with ties to legendary American history?  This property, sometimes called “The Christian Byers Farm & Civil War Hospital,” is located in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania–  the site of the famous “turning point”  battle of the U.S. Civil War.  And as you can tell from the name, the farm actually played a role in the historic battle.   (And if you’re into the supernatural . . . well, talk about a reason to look for ghosts!)

(Click here to check out a more recent log cabin for sale in Gettysburg village!)

Apparently used as a field hospital for at least 100 men at one time,the house is recognized as an important Confederate station during the battle.  The website civilwaralbum.com explains some history of the farm:

“…the deed being recorded September 27, 1769, one-half penny per acre was the price paid for the land. The Rebels had possession for the three days during the battle and used the house and barn for hospital purposes for about five weeks. The hospital had 100 patients for three weeks, fifty men for two weeks, and then all were removed. Although the barn has long since disappeared, the house and one old outbuilding remain.”

Photo by Richard Edling - CivilWarAlbum.com
Photo by Richard Edling – CivilWarAlbum.com

The map below shows the proximity of this property & former field hospital to the Gettysburg battlefield & the town:

gettysburgmap1

The house has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, and offers just short of 2,000 sqft of living space.  But perhaps the best part?  The house sits on no less than 44 acres of land!

gettysburg21

The property apparently includes a pond and a stream, as well as 16×24 workshop/outbuilding.

gettysburg6

The inside of the log cabin portion of the property (I assume that is the circa 1779 part) is now an large open space with exposed beams:

gettysburg4

And from the looks of this picture (below), a fair amount of seclusion & quiet on your 44 acres:

gettysburg3

Click Here for a List of 125+ articles here at Historic House Blog!

The asking price for this historical property is $750,000.  It’s listed with Michael Cherry of Remax of Gettysburg, so for more information, visit his website here or the Realtor.com listing here.

1. by Ten Fabulous Treehouses, Own A Civil War Hospital, and more – Around The Web Wednesday! | Wholly Houses, on 07.06.11 @ 1:38 PM

[...] FOR SALE: In Gettysburg, PA – Civil War Related, 44 acre Historic Farm!  Check out this historic home that also served as a Civil War Hospital!! [...]

2. by Adam, on 07.07.11 @ 11:21 AM

If you are in the market for a historic home in Southern PA with a more typical lot size (2+ acres) and just as much character, check out The Palmer Farmhouse in Landenberg, PA, just outside Newark, DE. Built in 1812 and reported to be a stop on the famous Underground Railroad, this updated property might be just what you are looking for in your next home.

3. by Michael, on 07.07.11 @ 6:46 PM

Adam,

That house is beautiful. I love stone houses, and this one has real “curb appeal” (though pools at historic houses always seem a little out of place to me). Here’s a link to the listing for my readers:

4. by For Sale Historic Properties, on 07.16.11 @ 2:26 PM

What a lovely house and the interior details look amazing. History lovers can’t find a better location too … Gettysburg!

5. by Michael Felk, on 08.29.11 @ 11:56 PM

Historic patterns used in lighting fixtures during the 1700′s to 1850′s are rare though easy when you have a depository!
    Period flame lighting equivalent incandescent style bulbs are not being omitted as they present wattage targets in reducing overall energy use by medium base bulbs.

6. by Michael Felk, on 08.30.11 @ 12:02 AM

It is rare to find 18th century antique lighting fixtures for colonial properties. Shoptin can complete a pattern for period lighting that would have existed in the region property existed. How? By having a large depository of actual patterns used by masters of the trade per region.

7. by Skip Clements, on 10.08.11 @ 8:46 PM

interested in purchasing a civil war farm in Gettysburg

8. by Dale, on 05.18.12 @ 12:56 AM

I am retiring soon.July 2012. I am looking for a home or house or any property to buld one on a historic civil war battlefield.I have southern ancestory and northern from this period so I am open to all suggestions.
    I can spend up to 500,000.00 Thank you

9. by Michael@HHB, on 05.18.12 @ 6:39 PM

Hi Dale…..I hope you mean *near* a Civil War battlefield, or *in the vicinity* of a Civil War battlefield! Too many people have desecrated battlefield sites & dishonored the sacrifices made there, in my opinion. Not to mention the sprawl that exists around many battlefield sites ruins any kind of historic ambiance that might exist. Just my 2 cents.

10. by Historic House Blog » Historic Log Cabin in Historic Gettysburg — The Congressmen Thaddeus Stevens Cabin ($159,000), on 05.29.12 @ 3:21 PM

[...] Battle of Gettysburg in 1863 (this reminds me of my article about the Gettysburg farmhouse that was used as a hospital during the battle).  But what makes this property even more remarkable is that Thaddeus Stevens once lived here.  [...]

11. by Dale Coolbaugh, on 09.08.12 @ 5:10 PM

I’ve herd that a lot (if not most)of these old historic civil war ara homes are extremely haunted and thats why people move out so soon. Also that they are hard to sell, if you want to move out in a hurry ! Is this true ? can anyone with experience coment on this ?

12. by Michael@HHB, on 09.09.12 @ 9:14 PM

AS a Realtor selling historic houses, I encountered as many people who *don’t* believe in ghosts as those who do. I suspect some people move from old houses because they get creeped out, but I think their number is few. I’d say more old house buyers are scared away by the cost of upkeep!

13. by grundskyld landbrug, on 09.26.12 @ 12:51 PM

I believe that is one of the most important
    info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some common issues, The site style is ideal, the articles is in reality great : D. Excellent task, cheers

14. by Historic Log Cabin in Historic Gettysburg — The Congressman Thaddeus Stevens Cabin ($159,000) « historical tales, on 01.20.13 @ 12:59 AM

15. by Deanna Simpson, on 05.07.13 @ 11:08 PM

I currently live in Hanover Pa… but am very interested in anything that is Pre or Civil War Period in Gettysburg.. I too am from the South : ) And have had several family members that fought in the Civil War… I would prefere a house that was used as a Hospital back then… $ is not a option…

Deanna